Innovation IntrodUKtions update
An exciting addition to our portfolio in 2020 was the virtual trade missions, introducing our members to startups that might otherwise have gone undiscovered due to the constraints of proximity. Casting your memories back to our July meeting sponsored by the UK”s Department for International Trade, when we introduced 20 UK 5G-enabled companies, here’s an update on the signed partnerships, competitions won, and products launched since that meeting.
- Screenhits received $2m in funding. Entertainment industry veteran and founder, Rose Adkins Hulse has written extensively on the challenges black women face when securing funding.
- Rose Adkins Hulse, CEO – email@example.com
- Sceenic partnered with BT Sports to roll out ‘Watch Together’ as part of their ‘Match Day Experience’, a new set of 5G-enabled features that brings fans closer to soccer, rugby and other sports—a winner during Covid. And Sceenic and Screenhits partnered last month to allow viewers to interact via live video while watching TV and films via ScreenHits TV.
- Paul Bojarski, CEO – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tekihealth tested 5G remote diagnosis technology in care homes. The trial has enabled GPs to provide treatment during the pandemic without the need to set foot inside the care homes. They also graduated from 1000BlackVoices, a accelerator supporting black tech founders.
- Stephen Katebe, CEO – email@example.com
- A-Dapt developed Focus Pocus, an Innovate UK COVID-19 Response Project to help sustain attention among students remote learning. Focus Pocus monitors pupils’ attention and emotions when they are viewing a screen. In November, A-Dapt won a second Innovate UK adaptive-video based project to help disadvantaged young adults to learn soft skills to help them perform better at interviews.
- Matthew Mayes, Co-Founder – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colt Technology won an award for Best Global Wholesale Carrier – Data at the Global Carrier Awards 2020.
- Francesca Serravalle, Emerging Technology Director – Francesca.Serravalle@colt.net
- Blu Wireless was part of a winning bid for the new Liverpool 5G Create project, an 18-month programme that will deliver a robust, independent 5G network to help the vital NHS and Social Care services further develop in a post-Covid world.
- Andrew Miles, Marketing Manager – email@example.com
- Percept Imagery was named a top five early stage start-up in the South East by the UK’s Tech Nation.
- Akshay Saswade, Co-Founder – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Iotics appointed a new CEO in September. Hans Kuropatwa has held a number of large CEO and regional CEO roles from his time with Vodafone and Motorola prior to his time as Group Chief M&A officer of Ooredoo, the Qatari Telecoms Group.
- Ali Nicholl, Head of Engagement – email@example.com
- Smartia partnered with Kx, allowing consumers of industrial data to quickly generate actionable insights for agile and strategic business decisions.
- Mauro Arruda, CEO – firstname.lastname@example.org
- DDK Positioning entered into a strategic alliance with Charity & Taylor (C&T) to distribute, install and service DDK’s precise GNSS positioning solutions globally in the marine sector.
- Kevin Gaffney, CEO – email@example.com
- FocalPoint was awarded the Royal Institution of Navigation’s highest award for Technical Achievement and named Hottest SpaceTech Start-up at the 2020 Europas Awards.
- Ramsey Faragher, CEO – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Extend Robotics was awarded a COVID-19 Challenge Fund by InnovateUK to deliver next-gen teleoperation robots. They announced the first successful trial of its virtual reality (VR) controlled cybernetic bartender, nicknamed “R:O:B:” (robotically optimised bartender), fully capable of ‘virtually’ pulling a real pint. With BT, Extend Robotics demonstrated the remote control of their new robotic arm over the BT 5G-VINNI network, to control switches and dials on an electrical panel.
- Dr. Chang Liu, CEO – email@example.com
- Icomera acquired fellow cohort company, GoMedia to collaborate on an end-to-end passenger information and entertainment offering to transport operators for enhanced passenger engagement. Icomera also recently partnered with Insight Public Sector to better serve nationwide public sector customers and address the unique challenges of limited resources and budgets.
- Mike Butler, Rail Infrastructure and Innovation Director – firstname.lastname@example.org
- GoMedia partnered with Japanese Airlines’ new low-cost carrier ZIPAIR, allowing customers access to onboard entertainment via their own devices, using the built-in aircraft Wi-Fi. In the US, they’re working with Capital Corridor to improve Wi-Fi on board trains. And West Midlands 5G chose GoMedia to develop 5G-enabled road and rail transport trials focussed on passenger management and transport accessibility.
- Sven Koster, Innovation Manager and Head of Bus Dev – email@example.com
- Alchera Technologies joined the MK:5G accelerator, supporting startups focussed on mobility data, health & wellbeing, low carbon energy, and energy data.
- Joned Sarwar, Director – firstname.lastname@example.org
About UK’s Department for International Trade (DIT)
The UK is a global leader in technology and innovation and home to over 30 technology clusters focused on everything from quantum to AR/VR. It has a vibrant start-up ecosystem which attracts more VC investment than any other country in Europe. The UK’s Department for International Trade (DIT) supports innovative UK companies in the US market, drives US investment into the UK, and champions free trade. We regularly host virtual trade missions to the US; to larger events like CES, but also smaller, intimate events with partners like the Telecom Council. We are happy to have one to one discussions about your areas of interest and connect you to curated UK companies.
Veronica Eng (She/Her) | Trade and Investment Associate, Hardware and Telecoms | British Consulate General San Francisco